Siete Leguas Blanco, Bespoken Spirits “The Epic” Straight Rye Whiskey, BHAKTA Spirits 1973 Armagnac and Papa’s Pilar Rum, 2022 Legacy Edition Release Take Top Honors as Overall Category Winners
More Than $50,000 Raised to Support The Helen David Relief Fund
LAS VEGAS, NV (February 21, 2023) – The TAG Global Spirits Awards, created by world-renowned mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim, U.S. industry veteran David Grapshi, and American ambassador of Mexico’s National Chamber for the Tequila Industry Julio Bermejo, announces the results of the second-annual event program. After four days of judging by the world’s most respected experts nearly 400 medals were awarded, including 41 Platinum medals. With varied categories reflecting the uniqueness and diversity of the spirits industry, distillers and artisans, 33 brands were designated as Best in Show for their categories:
- Amaro Best In Show: Foletto Heritage, Amaro Proibito
- American Blended Straight Bourbon Best In Show: Nelson’s Green Brier Distillery, Nelson Brother’s Classic Bourbon
- American Blended Straight Bourbon Best In Show: Widow Jane, Lucky 13 Bourbon
- American Bourbon Single Barrel Best In Show: Henry McKenna, Single Barrel
- American Bourbon Small Batch Best In Show: Elijah Craig, Small Batch
- American Cask Finished Best In Show: Garrison Brothers, Guadalupe Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey Finished In A Port Cask
- American Rye Best in Show and Whiskey Overall Best In Show: Bespoken Spirits, “The Epic” Straight Rye Whiskey
- American Straight Bourbon Best In Show: Brother’s Bond Bourbon, Original Cask Strength Bourbon
- Aquavit Best In Show: Bareksten, Aquavit
- Armagnac Best In Show and Brandy Overall Best In Show: BHAKTA Spirits, 1973 Armagnac
- Cachaça Best In Show: Novo Fogo, Silver
- Calvados Best In Show: Pere Magloire X.O.
- Cognac Best In Show: Hardy, Noces d’Argent Fine Champagne Cognac
- Flavored Rum Best In Show: Cane Botanical Rum
- Flavored Vodka Best In Show: Smoke Lab, Smoke Lab Aniseed Vodka
- Fortified Wines Best In Show: Cinzano, Vermouth Bianco
- Gin Best In Show: Fords Gin
- Liqueurs / Cordials Best In Show: Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur
- Mezcal Best In Show: Peloton De La Muerte, Maguey Criollo
- Non-Alcoholic Spirits Best In Show: Lyre’s Non-Alcoholic, Classico Grande
- Other World Single Malt Whiskey Best In Show: Paul John, Mithuna
- Pisco Best In Show: La Madrina Torontel
- RTD Non-Alcoholic Best In Show: Lyre’s Non-Alcoholic Amalfi Spritz
- RTD Wine-Based Best In Show: Croft Pink & Tonic
- Rum Overall Best In Show: Papa’s Pilar Rum, 2022 Legacy Edition Release
- Scotch Speyside Single Malt Whisky Best In Show: Glenfiddich 14 Years Old
- Shōchū Best In Show: HIGA SHUZOU CO. LTD, Zanpa White
- Tennessee Whiskey Best In Show: Uncle Nearest Premium Whiskey, Master Blender Edition Batch 012
- Tequila Añejo (100% Agave) Best In Show: Codigo 1530, Barrel Strength Añejo
- Tequila Blanco / Silver / Platinum (100% Agave) Best In Show and Tequila Best In Show: Siete Leguas, Blanco
- Tequila Extra Añejo (100% Agave) Best In Show: San Matias, Gran Reserva Extra Añejo
- Tequila Reposado (100% Agave) Best In Show: Tequila Ocho, Reposado Barrel Select
- Vodka Best In Show: Chopin Vodka, Organic Rye
Full results and more information on this year’s program can be found at https://tagspiritsawards.com. Medals, digital files and other marketing communications materials are available to award winners by logging into your TAG Global Spirits Awards account after March 6, 2023.
The TAG Global Spirits Awards is the only program of its kind, inviting consumer spirits aficionados to participate in a week of exclusive events with their favorite brands and industry professionals. This year’s sold-out program included:
- A kick-off party at Libertine Social
- Educational Workshops featuring Patron Tequila, Ford’s Gin, Shochu, Jack Daniel’s Whiskey, and Campari
- Festive dinners: Tequila Tasting Dinner at Border Grill featuring Lunazul and Tequila Ocho; dinner at Libertine Social featuring Garrison Brothers and Smoke Wagon Bourbon; Campari cocktail pairing dinner at Carbone; and a Woody Creek Distillers dinner at Carversteak
- Pink Tie Party benefitting The Helen David Relief Fund and featuring more than 20 spirits partner stations
“We are so proud of what we have created with the TAG Global Spirits Awards, a unique and dynamic program representing the best of the hospitality industry,” shared Tony Abou-Ganim. “Our industry is about sharing, welcoming, supporting and celebrating, and we are humbled to have such an amazing and impressive group of professionals and brands join us to bring to life this wonderful experience for consumers throughout the week. We celebrate them and we celebrate all our awards winners this year.”
This year’s group of judges included: Jake Davenport, Certified Sommelier, Cicerone, Sake Professional, Specialist of Spirits, and Shochu Advisor, and currently Assistant Mixologist at Wynn Las Vegas; Dale DeGroff, King Cocktail and The Museum of the American Cocktail; Tadeusz “Tad” Dorda, Chairman and CEO of Podlaska Wytwórnia Wódek “Polmos” S.A., Chopin Vodka; Holly Graham, author of Cocktails of Asia, Managing Editor (International) of DRiNK Magazine, Asia’s leading bar industry platform, and Academy Chair for The World’s 50 Best Bars and Asia’s 50 Best Bars; Lynn House, National Spirits Specialist and Portfolio Mixologist for Heaven Hill Brands; Charles Joly, global bartending champion and James Beard Award winning beverage designer; Francesco Lafranconi, world-renowned mixologist, spirits industry educator and icon of cocktail culture, and Senior Vice President of Beverage and Hospitality Culture for Carver Road Capital Hospitality Firm;; Sean Ludford, Owner / Director of BevX; Lauren Mote, DIAGEO Reserve Global Cocktailian; Shannon Mustipher, cocktail consultant, spirits educator, and author of Tiki: Modern Tropical Cocktails; LP O’Brien , CEO & Creative Lead at Focus on Health, and 2022 Winner Drink Masters (Season 1); Julie Reiner, Co-Owner of Clover Club, Leyenda and Milady’s, and Judge Drink Masters; Armando Rosario, Master Mixologist, Director of Mixology for Southern Glazer’s Wine & Spirits, and co-author of Twelve Cocktails; Nicola Riske, Southern European Brand Education Manager for The Macallan; Max Solano, Whisky & Spirits Educator, and Founder of Bar Chef Productions; Toshio Ueno, Certified Master of Sake and Master Sake Sommelier, and creator of Sake School of America and English Shochu Adviser Certificate program; and Charlotte Voisey, Global Head of Ambassadors for William Grant & Sons
The week culminated in the second annual Pink Tie Party, a cocktail soiree for all to mix and mingle while raising funds for the Helen David Relief Fund, a program founded by Tony Abou-Ganim to commemorate his cousin, Helen David, and support those in the bar industry fighting breast and other forms of cancer. This year’s event raised more than $50,000 for the Fund. Those dollars will be disbursed via the USBG National Charity Foundation.
“My cousin Helen David was an inspiration to all and a force in the hospitality industry for many years,” added Tony Abou-Ganim. “Pink Tie Party is a great way to celebrate her life and career and help others in the industry battling cancer. The Fund supports those individuals in need to cover expenses and help them through a difficult time. We thank everyone who helped support the initiative and support hospitality workers, while celebrating the best of the industry at this year’s TAG Global Spirits Awards.”
For more information and to stay up to date, please visit www.tagspiritsawards.com and follow on Instagram @tagspiritsawards.
# # #
Media Contact: Top Shelf Public Relations
James Curich | email@example.com
Joe Gallo | firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries are closed for 2023.
The TAG Awards competition includes various public and industry events.
MEET ALL OUR JUDGES
Get to know the team of international experts that are the backbone of the competition.